Friday, February 17, 2006

a 4 year old mind

Last night my husband had dinner with the president of his new company, so me and the little ones rented a movie and snuggled in on the couch waiting for him to arrive. We had finished 'Scooby Doo Meets Batman' and were on to watching figure skating. Little man had just fallen asleep and big brother was well on his way when all of the sudden I am covered in puke for about the 7th consecutive time since we have been here. Apparently between the antibiotic for ear infection, the nighttime cold and cough meds, and the chocolate milk (now that the fever was gone)...little guy couldn't keep it all down.
I wrapped he and I in his blanket and carefully carry him to the bathroom. Big brother follows and says he will just grab Buzz Lightyear on the way. I decide that chances are if I don't just get in too I will have this puke smell on my leg and most of my upper body all night. So, I hop in with little guy. He is laughing now and playing in the water. I am quickly washing off the evidence and getting ready to get out when big brother comes over to investigate. He puts his elbows on the side of the tub and rests his head in his hands and says..."How come you have these big hippos (confusing a once fat comment made by his cousin about my hips, with boobs) and I don't? I mean look at little guy, he has these two brown dots and that is it. I don't even think I have that?"
Then lifting his shirt to check he says, "Oh, I do. Daddy does too, just not like yours."
I said as I am hoisting myself out and into a towel, "Remember how mommy told you that God makes everyone special? Well He made girls to have different ones than boys." 'Nuf said? Not quite.
He says, "Then why doesn't (girl cousin) have them?"
I said, "Only older girls have bigger ones than yours. Her's are just like yours now." I am dying here. Probably breaking every parenting rule by not just coming out and saying the proper term for them or something. You have got to know my kid. He will say anything to anyone sometimes. This is the same kid that about a year ago asked me what those 'hills' were down by my stomach. I quickly continued to get dressed and sort of ignored the question wondering if they were really sagging that low. The next time that this came up was after watching Tarzan, he told me he wished he had those big muscles right there like mommy and Tarzan do. He would even put toys up to his chest and say look at my 'muscles'.
He apparently was satisfied in knowing that older girls get them, and it was just another way God makes us different and special. He just had one more thing to say about the subject as I was getting little bit dressed for bed, again. He said, "Is this sort of like why girls p.p. out of their bunkusses (bottom), you know since they don't have a wasset (penis)?"
At this 10:00 point of exhaustion, all I could say was yes.
I read them a story, told them I loved them and we talked about how excited we were to be driving back to OK to get the rest of our toys. He told me that he thought Woody was assigning all the other toys moving buddies like on the movie. I told him he was probably right. After 'doobing' himself a king, me a princess, and little man a prince he leaned back on his pillow, covered up with Pistol Pete (his blankie that will probably be somewhere in his backpack when he starts high school), and said, "Well, I'm gonna hit the jack!" :)

1 comment:

Shehopper said...

You may want to seek some treatment for your son wanting to "hit the jack" at such an early age. What are you teaching these kids?? I am laughing my hippos off.

Updated Blog!!!

I have been wanting to do this for some time, but please check out my new blog...all of my posts have linked so that was a success! :) MY N...