Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Not just a Father...
I can't even begin to express what Father's Day has always done to my heart. Since I was 9, my dad was not in my life on a day to day basis. We spent one very special Father's Day with him when all 4 of us 'originals' were adults and his wife had sent him here for a visit. I will never forget that whole weekend. Shane was filling in for the 9:45 worship leader at Rejoice, and my very own dad was going to get to see my husband lead worship. I didn't care what the circumstances were that brought him there away from his family, but I knew it was something very special that may never happen again...and it hasn't since. 
Fast forward to about a month after Shane passed and we were all seeking counseling. Mine suggested that we do not go out to eat, go to the store, go to the golf course, go to the movie theater...basically stay home or take a long drive to nowhere on that coming Father's Day. She explained that we would be surrounded by people celebrating their dads. She explained that we wouldn't know how to celebrate just yet. She was right.
We still don't. We honestly haven't celebrated many things well since. We still haven't had a birthday party for Wyatt this year. We have decided that we try and celebrate each day as it comes. We celebrate being as happy as we can be. Being as productive as the day allows. Living our best lives. I think Shane is honored by this. 
You see, with the beauty of those around us, we see fathers in action. Dads who tirelessly coach and take an interest in my boys. Male teachers who are not just role models but have gone the extra mile to help mold my boys into men. Dads who will help me with things around the house that are beyond my ability. Men that I know I can call and they will get my boys on the phone or text and set them straight about a question they might have or a nudge to take care of themselves when I feel they are overdoing it. 
My boys may never learn to love Father's Day until they, themselves, become a father. They had the absolute best example for a short time. A selfless encourager and a diehard fan, Shane would have gone to battle for them or any of their friends or teammates. He patiently calmed nerves that he never understood. He wiped many tears, gave lots of good advice, answered any and all questions, and he had just the right amount of tough love while being incredibly tenderhearted. He taught them that they should recognize a God given gift and share it. He taught them to always be honest. He taught them to love their wife and put themselves last. He taught them to welcome challenges and accept defeat. He worked hard for them and never liked telling them no. He loved them so BIG! 
So, thank you to all of the men who have invested in my boys. May God richly bless you and your heart for others. We can certainly never repay all of the kindness that we have received.  


No comments:

Updated Blog!!!

I have been wanting to do this for some time, but please check out my new blog...all of my posts have linked so that was a success! :) MY N...